Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Day 1 at Classic City High School: 1/14/15

Today was my first day at Classic City High School.  I was so nervous that I got to the school 30 minutes early.  I just sat in the car and thought about how the next hour and a half would go. When I walked into the building I didn't know where the office was.  I saw a small room right when you walked in, but it seemed so small that I didn't even think of it as the office.  When I determined that the small room was the office I went inside signed in and talked to *Mrs. Melroy where she took me to *Mrs. Smith's class.  On the way to the classroom Mrs. Melroy pointed out all of the different rooms of the school.  I was surprised that the school was made up of six classrooms.  It makes sense because the school has very little students, but it still surprised me.

Mrs. Smith teaches language arts across multiple age levels.  She has multiple tasks that all of the students can do regardless of grade level and she makes adjustments to them so that each student is getting the appropriate amount of work.  The classroom was small but each student had a computer that he/she was able to work on.  I was told to work with *Maggie on her writing assignment.  I did not know what was expected of me so I spent majority of the time just watching Maggie write.  I knew I should of interjected, but I didn't know how and even if Mrs. Smith would want me to. I talked to Mrs. Smith after the class period was over to figure out what she expected from me so that I could improve next week. She told me to interject and make sure that the student stays on track and doesn't lose sight of what the assignment is.  She also told me to stop them if there are any grammar mistakes being made.  Mrs. Smith warned me that the student will push back and that I just have to continue to interject.  She also told me to try to relate and even lie if I have to and tell the student that I made the same mistakes too.

 Although I didn't do the best job on tutoring today, I found out what was expected of me and can plan accordingly for next week.  Next time should go must better!

*names have been changed for privacy purposes

No comments:

Post a Comment